Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:14:37 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11 required for Document Project?

Hi,
I am currently updating the various ports installed on my box and I had
to notice that it is no longer possible to install the docproj meta
port without getting X11 installed.

The main reason is the dependency on peps, which has a hard dependecny
on X11.  In a fit of frustration, I kicked peps, netpbm, libxslt, and
scr2png (everything related to graphics) out of the port.  links also
went away as I do not see the point of installing Yet Another Browser.

After that, it was time for a pkg_delete frenzy, followed by a
rebuild of the complete port. After a generous make clean in /usr/doc,
I am still able to build the Release Notes, the FAQ and the FDP
primer.

I cannot build anything that use eps or scr graphics, or produces
.ps/.pdf files, of course.  But that's a price I do not mind to
pay, because I saved myself from building all these packages:

XFree86-3.3.6_10
freetype2-2.0.8
gd-1.8.4_5
ghostscript-gnu-6.52_5
jpeg-6b_1
netpbm-9.24
peps-1.0
pkgconfig-0.10.0
png-1.2.1
python-2.2_1
scr2png-1.1
tiff-3.5.7

And this list doesn't even include all the build infrastructure you
have to build and install along the way.  Things like imake, gmake,
unzip, ...

In other words, it would probably be WAY more effective to forget
the on-the-fly graphics conversion stuff and simply stuff the .png
version of our .eps files into the repository as well.  The same
thing applies to the .scr files.

On a related note, I noticed that the 3.1 stylesheets have been
removed from the port because no docs require it (rev. 1.30).  Well,
the 3.1 stylesheets are still installed, because both sgmlformat
and docbook-1.2 need them (according to +REQUIRED_BY).  Actually,
we are still installing every docbook version that ever existed
and linuxdoc for good measure.  Is this really neccessary?  Do
we still have documents that use linuxdoc?  Or any docbook
stylesheet version < 3.1?  There two english documents and a
lot of translations that still use 3.1, but everything older
than that should go into the bit bucket.

IMHO, of course.

/s/Udo
--
"I don't want to run a company. I'm not good at managing people.
You have a problem with the guy in the next cubicle?