Date:      Mon, 15 May 1995 02:38:27 -0700
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami | =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Forwarded mail

I assume this was meant for a wider audience...since you say "anyone?"
down there. :)

Satoshi
-------
To: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami | 浅見 賢)
Subject: Re: cvs commit: ports/lang/g77 Makefile
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 02:18:26 -0700
From: Joshua Peck Macdonald <jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com>

>  * Why would we -ever- want to move it into the src tree?  That makes
>  * it FAR more difficult to keep current and bloats the source
>  * distribution for something 103 out of every 100 users will never
>  * use.
>
> I agree -- Fortran compilers belong to the ports section.  Not that
> everything else in the core distribution is used more than f77/g77 but
> it's probably one of the least used items and isn't that hard to
> separate.

Actually, f77 and f2c would be very easy to remove from the
core distribution.  In fact I think something far more organized
could be done with the gcc executable which installs by default.
One problem is that for fortran compilers at least is that you need
to really tell gcc which you want to use, whether to use the
f2c | cc1 or the g77 | f771 combintion.  I don't know how you can
make this distinction in the same executable, though I'm sure its
possible, but not desirable.  As it stands, gcc has a rule telling
it to use f2c for .f files, this has to be removed to use g77.
When I was fixing the gnat port, I couldn't even modify a gcc
driver to look in the right place, because there really isn't any
gnat changes (except that it should find gnat1 wherever you
install it--it already has ada rules).  So fine, what I think
could be done rather easily and I'd be willing to help after finals
is patch up gcc.c a little, remove /usr/bin/f2c and /usr/bin/f77 from
the source tree and make a port of them.  I don't know if anything
needs libf2c in the core distribution, does anything?  The ports that
use the gcc sources could also be a bit more organized, like gnat,
but I don't have much interest in gnat, and f77 and g77 both
work for me right now, so what does everyone else think?  I
was also thinking about trying to get GNU objc to work...
cause I ran across some sources I could't compile, does
anyone know if it compiles?

-josh