Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:46:57 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz.zupan@medinet.si>
Cc:        shovey@buffnet.net (Steve), freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail distribution

At 04:57 PM 4/22/97 +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
>> > POP3 on this new machine? I simply can't believe that
>> > all providers have only one POP3 server.
>> Why cant you?
>
>How about "single point of failure"? Do you really want me to
>believe that f.e. AOL has one single POP3 server for all their
>thousands (millions?) of mailboxes?

But do they have all the same data?  Do at least 2 servers have the same
data, not necessarily all of it, but there is at least one redundant server
for each account?

>> I cant think of how you could keep multiple copies of inboxes in sync.
>
>Yeah, that's the problem I'm trying to solve :)

The most important part is the messages, correct?  Then every time there is
a write to the mail spool, one should to a backup.  This is not reasonable.

Downtime is not a problem with secondary MX handles that can queue mail, so
the problem is to have a backup, but the data is too dynamic.  A RAID array
would be the best solution, preferably level 5, but level 1 gives you 2
mirrored drives and level 4 could be used, but is not as efficient.

Of couse in the case of a RAID array, "What if the controller shorts out
the drives and you cannot recover?"

This is just a "what if" that could go on.

"What if you keep your backup tapes off site, but the building goes up in
smoke?"

You are going to have a bad day/week, but at least you still had a very
good solution to the problem and hopefully good business insurance.  ;-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990