Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:50:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   network issue

Although this is not directly a FreeBSD issue, I pose this question here
knowing this group has run across lots of unique issues.

We have a pair of 7200 routers connected to a Catalyst 6509.  To the Cat
are connected about a dozen Bay/Nortel switches (303, 310, 350s).

The issue we have looks most like an arp-related (poison, or flood?)
issue.  It has occured without warning twice in one day (about 18 hours
apart).  None of the devices on our nework showed traffic spikes or other
suspicous activity.

Best as I can tell, all devices connected to the same switch can
still reach each other, but connectivity between switches is not
consistant. Some devices may be able to reach all other devices.

For example:

Server A is on switch 1, server B and C are on switch 2.  When the problem
occurs, B and C can still talk, but A can only talk to B, NOT C.  However,
a fourth server D on another switch, can continue to reach all devices
(???).

Both times the problem has come up, the connectivity issues appearted to
be exactly the same (???), but this is based on a smaller sampling of
data.

Resetting the ethernet module on the cat (which the Bays are connected to)
resolves the problem.  None of our servers or monitoring boxes have
reported suspicious ARP activity (such as moving or changing ARPs).

Unfortunately, I don't know to much about what has happened, so I can't be
more specific.  However, any suggestions to tools (already using snort,
just setup argus) I can use to monitor or suggestions as to potential
cause would be greatly appreciated.  I'll entertain any option.

TIA!