Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 13:03:04 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        joel2a@yahoo.com
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

On 3 Aug 2001, at 22:26, joel2a@yahoo.com wrote:
> Well I just have to say that if there wasn't Windows we would all be
> back the days of console prompt typing and there certainly would not
> be as many people on the internet.

And the problem with that would be?  :)

> While Unix is good and freebsd is cool to have much of the open source
> software is still very bugged.

And MS products are not?  At least with OSS you can fix the bug
yourself, or write up really nice bug reports, and check the current
status of the bug database.  Unless you are multi-million dollar
customer, there's very little chance of that happening at MS.

> If anyone is wondering why KDE or Kthis or gnome that doesn't work
> right... what do you expect! It's open source and why don't you learn
> C and fix it yourself!

Yeah, I know.  That why I said, "Now, if only *I could figure out*
why ..."  I wasn't complaining, I was just mumbling about not being
able to figure it out yet.  You have to be carfeul about not taking
something out of context like this.

> Not really to bash anyone but I think Microsoft bashers really don't
> have a clue themselves and I kinda like playing Asheron's Call or
> Everquest on a windows machine! Try playing that on a a Unix machine!

What does playing games and bashing MS have in common?  When did you
see anyone bashing MS on this list?  And why would I try to play a
Windows-only game on Unix?  I might as well try to shoot myself in
the foot, it'd be a lot easier.  Besides, I prefer the old-school
RPGs where you actually had to think and use your imagination.  :)
but, that's just me.

> Word processing in a console and putting it through Postscript to get
> formatting! GIVE ME A BREAK! Some of you Microsoft bashers are worse
> than not having a clue! How about getting a life!

What's wrong with using the tool that best suits you?  Me, I liked
using Wordstar, WordPrefect, and MultiMate in DOS.  I also liked MS
Works 3 for Windows, and still like WordPerfect 8+ for Windows AND
Unix.  Everybody has to use the tools they are most comfortable with.
 Which is the nice thing about the Unix/OSS world:  there's an
abundant array of choices.  Not so in the Windows world.  Unless you
really like bashing your head against the wall.  :)

Personnally, I think you need to cut back on the caffeine, alcohol,
and late nights.  :)  There's nothing wrong with healthy discussion
and debate.  However, making blanket statements like the above is
not, and can very easily get you in trouble, banned, or otherwise
ostracised from the community.

Now, how did a healthy conversation about people's preferences for
GUI environments and wordprocessors turn into an "MS bad!  No, MS
good!" shouting match??  :)
Cheers,
Freddie
fcash@bigfoot.com

Reject complexity, embrace simplicity, and leave your
ego at the door.
    - Colonel Kernel @ http://dualboot.net