Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 1995 14:29:29 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: any interest?

> >The usual way under SunOS is 'mkfile 4m /some/file'. This way
> >no disk blocks are allocated until they are actually needed.
> >Here is a clone implementation of mkfile, done by Robert Claeson
> >(prc@erbe.se).
>
>    Swapfiles should be pre-allocated to maximize contiguousness.

I don't agree that disk blocks aren't allocated until needed. Here's
an excerpt from the man page:

MKFILE(8)             MAINTENANCE COMMANDS              MKFILE(8)

NAME
     mkfile - create a file

SYNOPSIS
     mkfile [ -nv ] size[k|b|m] filename ...

DESCRIPTION
     mkfile creates one or more files that are suitable  for  use
     as  NFS-mounted  swap  areas,  or  as local swap areas.  The
     sticky bit is set, and the file is  padded  with  zeroes  by
     default.   The  default  size  is  in  bytes,  but it can be
     flagged as kilobytes, blocks, or megabytes, with the  k,  b,
     or m suffixes, respectively.

OPTIONS
     -n   Create an empty filename.  The size is noted, but  disk
          blocks aren't allocated until data is written to them.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY