Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:53:11 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        camel@avias.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some news about ftp hangs

> > trying different configurations i have encountered the following
> >
> > 1. ftp in passive mode (pftp or ftp with -p options) DOES NOT hang;
> > 2. ncftp3 from ports DOES NOT hang;
> > 3. netscape communicator 4 DOES NOT hang.
> >
> > so it seems that the problem is in native FreeBSD's ftp or a library
> > (libedit.so.2, libtermcap.so.2 or libc.so.3).
> >
> I suspect libalias' ftp PORT command handling.

Well, that hasn't changed for some time.  It's not perfect in that it
can't detect PORT commands that span more than one packet fragment,
but this (to my knowledge) won't happen in real life as `ftp' uses the
PORT command in the middle of a conversation - surrounded by expected
in one piece.

> > --
> >
> > sincerely,
> > ilya naumov (at work)
> >
> Here's async log output from alias enabled ppp, while ftp was retransmitting
> the PORT command packet:
>
> Async:  7e 3d c0 00 00 9d 21 45 00 00 38 13 42 00 00 ff
>                              ^^
> Async:  01 e3 a7 cf ca 49 aa d0 17 db 4e 03 03 a2 f8 00
> Async:  00 00 00 45 00 00 39 a4 4e 00 00 2e 11 79 35 d0
>                  ^^
> Async:  17 db 4e cf ca 49 aa 04 00 00 35 00 25 00 00 e3
> Async:  69 7e
>
> If looked like somehow the first ip frame was overwritten by a second ip
> frame...

Hmm, I don't see any PORT command in there ;-/

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>