Date:      Mon, 17 May 2004 21:19:59 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server with largish disks

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:37:35AM -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:
> One I'd like has 4 x 9gig and 4 x 18gig drives, 2 x 733mhz cpus.
>
> Only have about 2500+ active mail accounts on this machine but it is
> running low on space and we have lots of those accounts being access'd
> via
> Openwebmail.
>
> Mail spool is /var/mail
>
> Question is what would be a good way to partition the drives in the
> above
> configuration?
>
> I would like acutally to use 3 x 18 gig drives as /var with the 4th
> as the hotspare and the rest of the file systems (/ /usr) on 3 x 9gig
> with the 4th as hotspace.

You may want to reconsider holding all mail in one directory.  My mail
system was originally setup that way and researching problems was
always quite time consuming.  ls tends to be a bit slow in those
situations as to a number of other utilities.  I have 100 directories
of home directories (named 00 through 99).  User's home directories are
randomly distributed between the directories and mailboxes are stored
in the user's home directory.