Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/24772: df and du provide conflicting data

The following reply was made to PR bin/24772; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To: adsouza@math.uwaterloo.ca
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:14:29 +0200

 On Wed 2001-01-31 (20:17), adsouza@math.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
 > >Number:         24772
 > >Category:       bin
 > >Synopsis:       df and du provide conflicting data
 > >Severity:       serious
 > I have a 300MB partition for /var and df claims that it has only 20 MB
 > free but when I run du -s . inside /var it shows only 130MB used.
 > This is rather alarming as I am now unsure of my filesystem integrity.

 You probably have a largish log file or two that are open, and were on
 /var, and were deleted.  Try killall -HUP syslogd, and other similar log
 file consumers, and see if it continues to be out of sync.

 du and df don't have to correlate - they do different things.

 Neil
 --
 Neil Blakey-Milner
 nbm@mithrandr.moria.org