Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:09:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        clefevre@citeweb.net
Subject:   Re: PXE boot vs. DHCP

In article <002601c15cb4$064fb440$aa3c0007@home.conforama.fr>,
Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net> wrote:
> "John Polstra" <jdp@polstra.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also, I don't feel that my patch is a hack.  The entire purpose of
> > dhclient's PREINIT phase is to put the network interface into an
> > enabled state so that IP packets can be sent.  If the interface is
> > already up, then it is already in that state.  By failing to check the
> > interface first, the current dhclient-script needlessly destroys its
> > configuration and hangs the system.  That is a bug, and my patch fixes
> > it.
>
> ok, did you ask the dhcp mailing list about that ? since, as a general rule,
> dhclient should be fixed for all platforms and not only for FreeBSD...

No, I did not ask the DHCP mailing list about it.  You are welcome
to do so if you wish.  However, please note that (a) pxeboot is
FreeBSD-specific, and (b) dhclient-script is OS-specific by design.

I have to say, I'm baffled as to why you are looking so hard for ways
to obstruct this simple bugfix.

John
--
  John Polstra