Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:22:13 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        Dmitry Galyant <diman@asd.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What anti-sniffer measures do i have?

I ported antisniffer to freebsd once (still have patches somewhere), and
found it to be completely unusable (it's really alpha quality). Also,
their windows version is not much better.
I think that cryptography is the key.

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Dmitry Galyant wrote:

> There is no software solution to your 'sniffer problem'.
> Experienced guys can down interfaces and still listen a traffic,
> can change MAC to your routers address and do not swith to
> promisc, etc...
> So, all anti-sniffs like L0pht's only can help you to be
> rooted remotely.
> Only solution is the hardware solution or crypto-solution.
>
> 						Regards, Dmitry.
>
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Artem Koutchine wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:57:12 +0300
> > From: Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
> > To: security@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Cc: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: What anti-sniffer measures do i have?
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I guess, that there are issue which tend to grow bigger when you ignore
> > them in the first place.
> >
> > So, our network has gotten pretty big and too many people can see what
> > the should not see. Besdides, all of the people are very technically
> > and can easily use something like the new sniffer which even decrypts shh1
> > and ssl.
> >
> > So, I really need some ideas on how to disable sniffers on the network which
> > is a typical 10Mbit ethernet build on a bunch of hubs. It consists of
> > 1) FreeBSD workstations (many)
> > 2) Windows 95/98/ME workstations (many)
> > 3) WIndows NT wortstations (some)
> >
> > All of the need to intercommunicate:
> > FreeBSDs work via NFS
> > Windows (all kinds)<->FreeBSD via Samba
> > Windows9x/ME<->WindowsNT via Samba
> >
> > Also , there is local office WEB, SMTP, POP3 and an Internet gatway.
> >
> > I am interested in knowing all kinds of solutions to the sniffer problem:
> > software (preffered) or hardware. I'd like some more generic solution, which
> > do not require any changed in the existing software configuration and allow
> > the same functionality as we use now (broadcast can be screwed).
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Artem

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]