Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:14:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using MD5 insted of DES for passwd ecnryption

[ On Tue, April 21, 1998 at 09:35:41 (-0700), Mike Smith wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Using MD5 insted of DES for passwd ecnryption
>
> > I think it should always be possible to statically link the whole system
> > if one so desires.  That's the one sure way to test if shared libraries
> > are causing any weirdness.
>
> How are you supposed to load arbitrary (possibly third-party)
> authentication modules if you have to have the source at build time?
> That's stupid.

Maybe not the source, but at minimum the objects.  Any method of
run-time control over password encryption schemes should permit all
available schemes to be statically linked simultaneously into the
relevant binaries such that a run-time "switch" can select amongst those
that were available at link time.  Naturally adding more schemes
requires re-linking -- but that's neither surprising, nor upsetting.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>