Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Larry Sica <larry@interactivate.com>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origen.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: WuFTPD:

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Richard Martin wrote:

> How about the relative obscurity route - using a less widespread FTP
> system, like ncftpd? Granted it costs, but the license is only about
> $30.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this one?

I use it on all my servers, it's only 49.99 for a 50-user license,
unlimited is like 199 i think, have to check on that.  It does not run out
of inetd (which is nice), has its own logging facility (Which can be tied
to syslog), allows for virtual users as well so you could setup users w/o
shells or give users different ftp passwords.  It supports all the usual
stuff, /etc/shells, ftpuser, etc.  It's configuration also allows for
multiple domains hosted on the same server think vhosting of websites it's
similar to that.

the domain is www.ncftp.com

oh yeah it's free for personal use (3 or more sim. users).