Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 12:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org, luoqi@watermarkgroup.com
Cc:        camel@avias.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some news about ftp hangs

> > Here's async log output from alias enabled ppp, while ftp was retransmitting
> > the PORT command packet:
> >
> > Async:  7e 3d c0 00 00 9d 21 45 00 00 38 13 42 00 00 ff
> >                              ^^
> > Async:  01 e3 a7 cf ca 49 aa d0 17 db 4e 03 03 a2 f8 00
            ^^                               ^^ ^^
	    protocol = ICMP                  unreachable port
> > Async:  00 00 00 45 00 00 39 a4 4e 00 00 2e 11 79 35 d0
> >                  ^^                         ^^
						UDP
> > Async:  17 db 4e cf ca 49 aa 04 00 00 35 00 25 00 00 e3
                                       ^^^^^
				       port 53 = DNS
> > Async:  69 7e
> >
> > If looked like somehow the first ip frame was overwritten by a second ip
> > frame...
>
> Hmm, I don't see any PORT command in there ;-/

Sorry, this is a legitimate ICMP packet: port unreacheable. It looks like
the ftp server (ftp.freebsd.org) was making an UDP query to DNS port on
the client (which happens to have a named server running, but that's just
for the internal network, external ip address is served by an outside server)
and the client responds with port unreacheable even though there is a named
running. I'm totally confused. I'll try to find out more. By the way, if
I turn off aliasing (set alias enable off), ftp works fine again.

-lq