Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:06:28 +0100
From:      Alexander Richardson <arichardson@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?0JDQu9C10LrRgdCw0L3QtNGAINCd0LXQtNC+0YbRg9C60L7Qsg==?= <bland@bbnest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Brad Davis <brd@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NSS issues after locking fixes

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 at 20:58, =D0=90=D0=BB=D0=B5=D0=BA=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BD=D0=
=B4=D1=80 =D0=9D=D0=B5=D0=B4=D0=BE=D1=86=D1=83=D0=BA=D0=BE=D0=B2 <bland@bbn=
est.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> After supposed locking fixes done in this commit: 5245bf7b92b74e556527b49=
16a8deba386fe5772
> we have a broken nsdispatch(3) when system has a threaded nss module plug=
ged in.

> To illustrate the problem:
>
> $id bland
> id: bland: no such user
> t$LD_PRELOAD=3D/usr/lib/libthr.so id bland
> uid=3D1001(bland) gid=3D500(domainusers) groups=3D500(domainusers),...
>
> $cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
> group: files ldap
> hosts: files mdns dns
> netgroup: comapt
> networks: files
> passwd: files ldap
> shells: files
> services: files
> protocols: files
> rpc: files
>
> It seems that the commit in question was done under asumption that thread=
ing model can never be changed during run-time, while previous code was tak=
ing care of it by taking a copy of __isthreaded.

> I can not reach out Alex Rechardson who authored this change. Perhaps som=
eone else can step in and take care of it?

> Thanks,
> Alexander.

Hi Alexander,

I was away over the weekend so I wasn't able to revert it then. I've
committed the revert as
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=3D738314e445ceac4d3dd6c77c636044141=
623b8dc
and

I am not convinced that __isthreaded changing is the real problem.
This can only happen with fork() (which calls _thr_setthreaded(0))
since if it's currently false, the main thread is executing and we
can't be spawning a new thread.
I think the problem could be that fork() is called while the lock is
held in one thread and therefore the new process ends up with a locked
rwlock. I think the solution could be to add a pthread_atfork()
callback that unlocks the rwlock.

Sorry for the breakage!

Alex