Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:11:49 +0200
From:      Bognar Attila <attila@ebizlab.hit.bme.hu>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password security

Hi,

> It's very useful for two-factor (or n-factor) authentication --
> I have no idea how extensive your familiarity with biometric
> methods is, but several are quite promising.  Some of the better
> ones (hand geometry) aren't suited to embedding in a laptop...

The fact that biometric scanners are getting better and better does not
mean that the applications using biometrics are good enough.  There are
two big problems: privacy and the fact that you have only 10 fingers, 2
hands... (the biometric patterns are quite "precious", they should be
handled with _very_ big care - an encrypted channel is far from being a
solution for other than trivial problems).

attila

ps: hand geometry based identification is not one of the best biometric
methods for security critical applications (where uniqueness should be
very important)