Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:15:34 -0500
From:      Oliver Wilson <owilson@cam.org>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does any one know if this will work?

Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Oliver Wilson wrote:
>
> > Nadav Eiron wrote:
> >
> I'm not sure about this case. Assuming you had a DOS slice, numbered 1,
> and a FreeBSD slice numbered 2 and then you split the DOS slice in half,
> the new slice will be physically before the FreeBSD slice, but will have
> an index of 3 (I guess, never tried it). I don't know what might happen
> in such a case. I think you may want to try. After all, this *should* all
> reversible. If you find that after adding the new slice FreeBSD no longer
> boots, remove the newly created partition.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I've never tried it and I take no responsibility for any loss
> of data or functionality. Proceed at your own risk!
>
> Anyone ever had any experience with such a procedure?
>
> Nadav

While using the partition editor to create the FreeBSD slice from the
DOS partition, should you set it as bootable? I'm thinking that the boot
(active) flag is what determines what slice FreeBSD will boot from. If
one chose not to set the slice as bootable, and bypassed the BootMGR
setup, shouldn't the system boot from the original FreeBSD slice, which
will be physically after the new FreeBSD slice?

I really would like to know!

Oliver Wilson
-
¥