Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 09:16:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /sbin/init permission

> As Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> >  Changing permissions to /sbin/init has no
> > undesired side effects, so it thought it was a non controversial
> > change. Maybe I am wrong ?
>
> I'm not even sure whether this is a bug in NFS or not.  If the file is
> executable, this should probably suffice.  OTOH, i think with the

Don't think it' s a bug. The problem is that /sbin/init is accessed
with root ID, and without root=0 the ID is mapped to nobody and
access is denied. Besides, I seem to remember that you only need
read permissions, not execute, for /sbin/init to be loaded correctly
at startup. This probably means that that /sbin/init is loaded as
data, not as an executable, by the kernel.

> current setup, it's almost impossible to have the root f/s exported
> without option root=0.

Not impossible, I have done it many times, and have it working here
-- a shared, readonly root without option root=0. Except for a
small problem with vipw, other things work fine.

> > It is my impression that quite a few people are using the diskless
> > code -- mostly to administer labs etc. with many machines where
> > users have the habit of pushing the reset button when something
> > goes wrong.  Every people I talked to has developed their own
> > solutions.
>
> > It would be nice if these efforts could be coordinated to produce
> > an easy "diskless" setup utility.
>
> The description in the handbook was sufficient for me to get my own
> setup going.  However, what i've been missing was a good template that

I was talking about a shared root. This is what you need for a lab, you
do not want to waste space & maintain directories for every client.

	Cheers
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/