Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:37:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony Proprietary CDROM

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> I originally sent this to 'questions,' but I believe I have exhausted
> potential leads there, so I am trying this audience.
>
> I am bringing back into service two 486DXs that have been pushed out
> of desktop use by newer machines. Both of these have Sony CDROMs with
> the proprietary interface. On one, I clobbered the old M$ OS without
> checking how devices were configured. I learned my lesson and checked
> on the second beforehand.
>
> I have been unable to 'find' the CDROM on the first machine. The
> GENERIC default is to 0x230, but that does not work. The second
> machine has the CDROM at 0x340 (the value I looked up before I messed
> with it), and it seems to work fine. I've tried a variety of settings
> and moved jumpers around, but no luck with such a Monte Carlo
> approach.
>
> The card for the CDROM has four sets of jumpers on it (JP1-JP4). I was
> told by a very helpful person on -questions that JP4 specified the
> port address. He said the unjumpered value was 0x300, and one can
> then set the address 0x300 to 0x3f0. However, the kernel default for
> these devices is 0x230, outside of that range. In addition, the
> machine working at 0x340 is unjumpered[0].
>
> Does anyone have experience with these things? Anyone have a pointer
> to some documentation about these drives (the Sony website has
> DOS/Windoze drivers, no docs about jumpers I could find)? BTW, the
> card attached to the problem machine is labeled COR334.
>
> Thanks for help or pointers in the right direction.
>
> [0] The four jumpers on each card were configured exactly
> alike. Noting set except for position 2 on JP1 (which my helper told
> me was the DMA jumper).

I didn't think that we even supported the old Sony proprietary cards.
The only way I was aware, to get the old Sony's to work (if they didn't
have either the SCSI or ide interfaces, mind) was to get an old
soundblaster card (or most of the clones( which had the interface on
it), and that would work fine.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |