Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 01:29:12 +0400
From:      "Oleg V. Volkov" <rover@lglobus.ru>
To:        Shashi Joshi <shashi@WEBSI.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world fails for 3X-stable

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 01:10:06PM -0400, Shashi Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed 2.2.7 using the CDs and all was fine.
> Then, I wanted to upgrade to the latest 3x-STABLE.
> I used tag=RELENG_3 , I am not sure which stable it will pick up. As per
> the web docs, it should pick up the latest STABLE version. Did I pick
> something else? Also doing a grep on the source code for version number
> contrib/cvs/src/cvsbug.sh:VERSION=3.2
> So, I guess I did pick up 3.2 (which had a RELEASE recently, so which is
> the latest STABLE version? The web site and announcements have the
> 3.2-RELEASE all over, and the "how to track stable" page has the cvsup.conf
> file to use, says to use tag=RELENG_3
> Please Help!! (CC me on the reply as well)
> Thanks a lot in advance, and please be kind to overlook my mistakes.

Yes, that's right - you got 3.2-STABLE, lastest STABLE around. Every RELEASE
continues to live as STABLE until it becomes new RELEASE. Now about second
problem -  read comments in /usr/src/Makefile and documents on web about
making upgrade from 2.X.X to 3.X. In short, you should use "make aout-to-elf"
first. Also easiest way to upgrade is to install 3.2-RELEASE bin distribution
first (~30Mb) and then cvsup and continue tracking as usualy...

--
Oleg V. Volkov aka Rover				E-mail: rover@lglobus.ru
E-mail redirector: sr-13@mail.ru (always up)			   -=/ SR 13 /=-