Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 11:09:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems

:I know you've mentioned this before.  Are there technical reasons behind
:this?  I believe you mentioned something about the buffer cache?  Would
:you be willing to add it as an option since so many others seem to want
:it?

    Most of the stuff that winds up in /tmp is garbage.  There is no good
    reason to burden our VM system with unnecessary garbage and I know of
    no performance issues involved with people using /tmp files that requires
    MFS or MD.  It's an unnecessary waste of memory and an unnecessary burden
    on our VM system.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>