Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 22:20:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        aron@cs.rice.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/200005240251.VAA08495@noel.cs.rice.edu> you write:

>> We already have a pretty complete implementation of the Linux kernel ABI -
>> most of the problems with running Linux binaries on FreeBSD comes from
>> userland stuff: missing libraries, etc. It's not "Linux emulation" - see
>> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x18949.html
>
>Yes, which is why I'd rather use GNU utilities running on FreeBSD than spend
>hours figuring out how to make a Linux binary work. As someone pointed out,
>Debian is making some effort in this direction. I'll check that out.

Also note that I just added ext2fs support to our bootloader, so with
a little more effort, you might be able to drop a fbsd kernel into an
existing Linux system and have it boot.  There will the enevitable bunch
of issues to iron out as well, so it's probably not as simple as it sounds.
--
Jonathan