Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:29:31 -0800
From:      Joe Touch <touch@ISI.EDU>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, patrick@137.org
Cc:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>, Yu-Shun Wang <yushunwa@ISI.EDU>, touch@ISI.EDU
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: IPsec processing overhead measurements]

> From: Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
> To: freebsd-net@freebsd.org
>
> Are there any good references for overhead associated with using IPsec?
> I realize that it is probably OS-dependent, but any numbers would be
> very helpful to me.  I'm including a section about IPsec in my thesis,
> and it would be useful to mention potential costs associated with it.
> Thanks a bunch.
>
>  -Patrick

There's an RFC and followup Sigcomm paper that focuses on the data
touching overheads and speeds of MD5 in particular:

	"Report on MD5 Performance"
    	J. Touch, RFC-1810, ISI, June, 1995.
	available lots of places, also cached at:
	http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/rfc1810.html

	"Performance Analysis of MD5"
	J. Touch, Proc. Sigcomm '95, Boston, pp. 77-86.
	http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/sigcomm95.html

Joe