Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:15:18 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Suggestion: modules: ARCHS variable in makefiles

Gang,

Johns sweep over the drivers to clean up some warnings triggered a
thought in me. But enough about that, what about the following: :-)

The way we define SUBDIR in src/sys/modules/Makefile has annoyed me
enough that I'm willing to spend a not-completely-unlimited time
to handle it roughly the same as we do for ports: The makefile for
a module lists the architectures it's supposed to work on and is
simply skipped if the current (target) architecture is not in the
list. The top-level modules Makefile simply lists *all* modules,
possibly adjusted by some unrelated knob (such as WANT_EXT2FS_MODULE
or NO_IPFILTER).

Pros:
1. sys/modules/Makefile will be much cleaner with less duplication.
2. Modules can more easily be build in alphabetical order (ie without
   making the makefile unreadable).
3. More control for the module specific makefile (localized history).
4. Less tweaking in the top-level makefile when new architectures are
   being introduced.

Cons:
1. Build-time overhead to recurse all modules, including the ones that
   aren't being built.
2. More work to enable true MI modules (assuming opt-in only)

Q: Do people think it's a good approach (ie worth to spend time on)?
Q: Is this something that may benefit 5.0-RELEASE or is it something
   that can better wait (ie spend time now on)?

Just a thought,