Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:17:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Drew Weaver <drew.weaver@thenap.com>
Cc:        'Enriko Groen' <enriko.groen@netivity.nl>, 'Randy Smith' <randys@amigo.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: OT? Server Maint. Practices

Scripts and databases...

Just about any conf file you need can be created and maintained via a web
interface with a database backend holding all the info, and then have
simple scripts to pull out the info and create our configs either cron'd
or as you need them.

Case in point, Apache and DNS.  Simple database with IPs and virtualhost
info, and every hour you can regenerate your entire set of zone files, the
named.conf and your apache virtualhosts, and any additions via the web
interface for the non-admin monkeys in the past hour will all be
incorporated in the next set of changes, and you always have the option of
a spot change in an emergency by running the scripts manually.

I did all my stuff by hand and it took me forever, and migrating to a new
server was a PITA.  Now, having learned enough Perl and MySQL, I've got
more time for the more important things, like Half-Life... :)

-Gary

"Complexity breeds bugs.  Bugs prevent adoption, lack of adoption results
in death.  Death not good."