Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 13:09:58 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP-only dialup logins?

I'm setting up a dumb little box at my ISP to act as a ppp-ether
router for my own dialup. I'd like to give mpd a go, too.

I am interested in replacing the gettys on the serial/modem ports with
pppd directly, so I can bypass Login:/Password: and simply use PAP to
authenticate. This would appear to be much like "real" dialup servers.

Actually it would be coolest if the getty-style process on the line
did behave like many real comm servers: if it saw PPP noise, invoke
PPP immediately. If it saw CR or timed out waiting after 5 seconds,
offer the usual Login:/Password: prompt.

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks.