Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:34:26 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security-digest V5 #572

> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 07:25:08PM -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> > >BTW after the other Scott's post, I tried it his way--leaving out
> > >sshd_enable and sshd_program. Worked quite well--also, one reason I
> > >haven't done the overwrite option--as Jonathan said, won't that get
> > >clobbered next time you do make world?
> > >
> > >Interestingly enough, pkg-message suggests doing this--leaving
> > >sshd_enable at YES, adding sshd_program and then editing the path, (I
> > >assume root's) so that /usr/local/sbin comes before /usr/sbin.
> > >However, I've found the lazy man's way, which seems to be efficient as
> > >well, to be a combination of Jonathan's and the other Scott's.
> > >
> > >I realize this is not exactly what Jack is asking, but I'm wondering
> > >too--if one does the OVERWRITE, won't it get clobbered upon the next
> > >make world?
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >Scott Robbins
> > >>
> > This is what worries me too. I deinstalled the ssh port right afterwards,
> > but I'm wondering what else is changed. I noticed it updated the
> > openssl-0.9.6a to 0.9.6d that I didn't expect. The /var/db/pkg shows that
> > "d" version installed.

In my case I had installed the "openssh-overwrite-base-3.3p1_1
thing that was made just prior to 3.4 coming out.  Then when I found
out that our 2.9 was not affected, I just let it overwrite again when
I rebuilt (to fix the libc thing) until (as suggested by someone
here) I wait until 3.4 gets integrated into the base system.

Then I accidentally ran portupgrade with the '*' wildcard [sigh], and
when it got to that port it "upgraded" it to openssh-portable... BUT,
instead of just nicely installing itself in /usr/local, it REMOVED
the existing version 2.9 files, at the same time it did NOT update
rc.conf with the new path, so basically left the sshd daemon
nonfunctional which I had to fix.

Worse yet, I can't get the ssh client to connect to another box, it
says "DSA host key..not in list of known hosts", I tried copying the
ssh_config to /usr/local/etc/ssh but that didn't help. (it *appears*
to be set to look in the right place for the host keys (~/.ssh) but
just not finding them)  Rather than offering to import the key, it
starts giving me an S/key prompt, which I've never seen before.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium