Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 12:08:24 -0800
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.5.0 patchset 4 "Sumatran"

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:02:08PM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 05:44:22 +0100, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On behalf of the BSD Java Porting team, I'm pleased to announce the
> >availability of patchset 4 "Sumatran" for JDK 1.5, based on the
> >JDK 1.5.0 SCSL source code.
> >
> >This patchset includes many bug fixes plus support for the OpenBSD/amd64
> >platform and for building with GCC 4.x.
> >
> >The following platforms are supported by this release:
> >
> >        FreeBSD 4.8/i386 (or later)
> >        FreeBSD 5.3/i386 (or later)
> >        FreeBSD 5.3/amd64 (or later)
> >        NetBSD 2.0/i386 (or later)
> >        OpenBSD 3.9/i386 (or later)
> >	OpenBSD 4.0/amd64 (or later)
> >
> >The patchset can be downloaded at:
> >
> >http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk15.html
> >
> >An update for the java/jdk15 port will follow shortly.
>
> Is 6.x within '5.3 or later'?

Absolutely.  I can see how that could be misread.  Its 4.x where x >= 8
and then 5.3 or later.

Note that there is some guess work there.  It should have a big "I THINK"
label there somewhere as its only been tested on 4.11 and 6.1.  We know
that previous versions worked as early as 4.8 and 5.3 though, and there
shouldn't have been any changes to break that.

This is (probably) the last patchset on the 1.5.0 SCSL code.  Future
patchsets will likely be against 1.5.0_10 JRL and 1.6.0 JRL.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org