Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:07:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/33937: Add a timezone related hint to make world section of hb

>Number:         33937
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Add a timezone related hint to make world section of hb
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD howie.ncptiddische.net 4.5-RC FreeBSD 4.5-RC #0: Sat Jan 12 10:37:03 CET 2002 root@poison.ncptiddische.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HOWIE i386

	If a machine's time is set to local time (for example, CET) and
	not GMT, there is a potential that (not too dramatic, but still
	weird) problems may occur during a make installworld process.
	/usr/src/UDPATING therefore suggests that users running at local
	time run "adjkerntz -i" after having booted into single user
	mode and before starting the installworld process. However,
	in order to read this suggestion in UPDATING, one would have
	to scroll way down. Therefore, I guess the handbook should
	probably include the "adjkerntz -i" statement as well, and so
	I included it in the part that tells users how to boot into
	single user mode, right after the commands that are supposed
	to clean / mount the filesystems.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Boot into single user mode using boot -s, install world, reboot
	and notice that the files you have just installed are dated one
	hour in the future (IF your machine is set to local time). Try the
	same, but run adjkerntz -i before installworld and everything will
	be fine. Browse through /usr/src/UPDATING and see that somewhere,
	near the part on going from 3.x to 4.x, it also suggests local-time
	users to run adjkerntz -i, so I guess we should do the same ;-)
	(NOTE: To actually run into problems with this, you'd have to try
	to install certain ports, which will fail until the timestamp of the
	files installed by installworld is past ;-)

>Fix:
	The following patch, applied to handbook/cutting-edge/chapter.sgml
	fixes it ;-)

*** chapter.sgml	Wed Jan 16 10:27:30 2002
--- chapter-new	Wed Jan 16 10:57:24 2002
***************
*** 754,759 ****
--- 754,769 ----
  	read/write, mounts all the other UFS filesystems referenced in
+
+ 	<para>If your CMOS clock is set to local time and not to GMT,
+ 	you should also run the following command:</para>
+
+ 	<para>This will make sure that your local timezone settings
+ 	get set up correctly - without this, you may later run into some
+ 	not dramatic, but still weird problems.</para>
+
+
      </sect2>

      <sect2>