Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 23:03:46 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFilter not free software?

Rahul Siddharthan writes:
> Let's take a better known example: Microsoft.  In 1995 they used BSD
> code for their networking in Windows 95.  They widely trumpeted the
> networking features in their advertisements (the Internet was just
> catching on, and Windows 3.1 didn't have any inbuilt internet
> capability).  I don't recall any acknowledgement of UCB in Microsoft's
> advertisements.  Was that, or was it not, a violation of the
> advertising clause (which had not yet been removed at that time)?
>
> My claim is that the advertising clause would have been violated more
> often than honoured, even by well-meaning people.  Moreover, it was
> inconsistent with the goal of allowing the maximum number of people to
> use the software with the least amount of hassle.  Dropping it was a
> good thing.

Think it was NT 3.51 which had a "portions copyright BSD" (or some such)
message in the text displayed during boot, which was momentarily before
they fired up the graphics.

Have heard more than one claim that "NT is MS-BSD" with nothing but that
little copyright notice as evidence. As a result this is what I always
think of when "BSD advertising clause removal" comes up. That BSD was
embarrased by being associated with Microsoft and removed the
requirement for everyone. Not that I know anything. But the time line is
about right.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net