Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:15:32 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        ALeine <aleine@austrosearch.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA security commands, bug in atacontrol

ALeine wrote:
> Recent c't magazine article "At Your Disservice - How ATA security func=
tions
> jeopardize your data", which you can find at the URL below, warns about=
 the
> dangers of ATA security commands. Specifically, a malicious attacker wi=
th
> sufficient access could render a disk useless to the legitimate owner o=
> the disk by setting the 32 byte user and master passwords using the ATA=

> security command 0xf1.
>=20
> http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/08/172/
>=20
> To prevent such attacks in case of compromise one can issue the ATA sec=
urity
> freeze lock command 0xf5, which disables further ATA security commands =
until
> the next cold boot. Software for issuing the ATA security freeze lock c=
ommand
> has been made available at the URL below.
>=20
> http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/atasecurity/
>=20
> There is a patched version of the Linux hdparm utility there, but the c=
't
> guys seem to have neglected the BSD world, they have not even mentioned=
 the
> fact that OpenBSD's atactl(8) already supports this command as well as =
all
> the other ATA security commands, as can be seen at the URL below.
>=20
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sbin/atactl/
>=20
> Currently FreeBSD's atacontrol(8) has no support for ATA security comma=
nds,
> so I would like to know if adding the ATA security features is a priori=
ty
> on the TODO list. I would like to see these features implemented and I =
would
> also be willing to port the code from OpenBSD if there are some more
> experienced kernel developers who would be willing to review my code an=
> commit it? Let me know.

Right, I did see that article but I've not settled on how if at all to=20
deal with it. The by far most secure method would be to have ATA issue=20
the freeze command ASAP in the probe/attach code, thats about one line=20
of code :)
At any rate atacontrol is not the place to put it if we want this to up=20
security...

--=20

-S=F8ren