Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:59:16 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Daniel <danielc@green-orb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildkernel errors with "options SMBFS"

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 04:45:29AM -0400, Daniel wrote:

> Hi all... another lurker and first-time poster... if I forget something relevant please let me
> know...
>
> Anyway, have tried to make a kernel on two different machines under the latest (as of
> 04:37AM 4 September 2003 -0500 (EDT)) 4.9-PRERELEASE **AND** 5.1-p2 and get
> the error message as shown below.  I am including (at the end) the uname-a from both
> of the systems.  Each of them will compile this exact same kernel exactly right if I leave
> the "options SMBFS" line out of the kernel config file.  I will happily post those files if you
> deem them relevant but I am not now for space reasons.
[...]

Make sure you have all of the necessary options in your kernel config file.
For smbfs, you need these:

options 	SMBFS
options 	NETSMB
options 	NETSMBCRYPTO
options 	LIBMCHAIN
options 	LIBICONV

... or you can just use kldload to load the right modules (smbfs.ko,
libiconv.ko, libmchain.ko) - kldload smbfs will drag them all in
automatically.

Tim