Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:59:38 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Rudy Gireyev <RGireyev@bellind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Mail distribution

At 11:01 AM 4/22/97 -0700, Rudy Gireyev wrote:
>Hmmm, you must not have heard the news last week.
>Microsoft network users could not get their mail
>ALL DAY LONG. Because Microsoft was upgrading
>one of their boxes with Windows NT. The upgrade
>took just over an hour but when they ran FDISK
>it took over 20 hours to finish (Duhhh).
>IBM network users also could not retreive their
>mail for half a day. I wonder why? :-)

Considering the company, they *should* have had a system ready to go,
arrange the shutdown period, transfer the data to the new server, and be
done with it.

Get burned by upgrading a few times like this and you will learn.

Last Thursday AOL was unreachable for a long time (approx 10-11am to 5pm
CDT) due to problems with Sprint and ANS, which to me looked like a major
meltdown i.e. no route to many hosts and no DNS for either sprint.net or
aol.com (and others).  I don't know the skinny, but I could not hit any
number of nameservers that connect via Sprint.

Turn back the clock to Labor Day, the year before last.  Over 4 days
(Fri-Mon) went by and AOL had no mail, period.  Never saw anything in the
news about it, unlike the time they had problems last fall.

Always best to have contingencies, but even then...

Still there are times when it's a planning error.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990