Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:23:19 +0100
From:      "Graeme Dargie" <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        <gil@vidals.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: zfs enabled freebsd requires root zfs partition?

=20

________________________________

From: Gil Vidals [mailto:gvidals@gmail.com]
Sent: Tue 07/09/2010 03:55
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

I'm new to both FreeBSD and ZFS and need some guidance. The only way I =
could
get zfs to work was by installing FreeBSD directly on a freebsd-ZFS file
system, which isn't supported by default by sysinstall. I had to run the
zfsinstall.sh script which creates the freebsd-ZFS file system and =
compiles
freeBSD.

Whenever If I used the standard install (UFS file system), I would =
always
get an "unsupported file system" error whenever I tried to kldload =
zfs.ko.

Is there away to install FreeBSD on the standard UFS file system and =
then
use the other disks on the server for ZFS?

I would appreciate any hints.

Thanks,
Gil Vidals