Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 23:07:34 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:36:12 PST, Coranth Gryphon wrote:

> Perhaps it's worth revisting the GENERIC issue from another direction.
> What if FreeBSD shipped with two pre-built kernels, one with
> most of the options (LKM, BPF, etc) turned on by default and
> the other reasonable locked down (ie SECURE).

I think the discussion has moved on from "should we ship a bpf-enabled
kernel", which is the issue you seem to be addressing with your
suggestion.

I think the issue being discussed is really "is a bpf-enabled kernel any
less secure than one without bpf?" I think once that's decided, the rest
will fall into place.

What does worry me a little is the idea of making bpf's operation
dependant on the running securelevel. I thought securelevel restricted
messing around _inside_ my box. What's that got to do with what my box
can do with my wire, I wonder?

Ciao,
Sheldon.