Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 23:40:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dmaddox@scsn.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOSFS Broken(?)

> After a 'make world' and a new kernel from sources cvsupped ~10PM EST
> last night, it seems that msdosfs is broken...  Files that are known
> to be good appear corrupt when accessed from FBSD.
>
> This seems to characterize the problem:
>
> # ls -l /dos/c/MISC/STAC.DOC
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  72417 Jan 30 16:22 /dos/c/MISC/STAC.DOC
>
> # file /dos/c/MISC/STAC.DOC
> /dos/c/MISC/STAC.DOC: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI
>
> # cat /dos/c/MISC/STAC.DOC
> cat: /dos/c/MISC/STAC.DOC: Argument list too long

[ ... ]

> What's wrong with this picture?

cat's acting like it did a pattern match, but it didn't?

This looks like a shell globbing error, not an MSDOSFS error.

Note 1: cat does not exit with the error E2BIG.

Note 2: This is not likely to be a VM problem, since directories
	can't be mmap'ed.

Are you sure you didn't get bit by the vnode size change (see other
postings today)?  If you are using MSDOS as an LKM, recompile it
if you recompiled your kernel.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---