Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:38:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        sward@voltage.net (Susie Ward)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BocaBoard 1008

> I was wondering if anyone had sucessfully used the Boca 1008 8 port board
> for dialin modem connections?

They don't have all the modem control signals.  The 1008 uses 8
six pin telco jacks on the back of the ISA board, while the 16 port
flavor has a bus interface that plugs into the ISA bus and a black
box with the actual UART chips in it with DB25 ports with full
modem support.  The problem will be no way to detect dropped
connections since DTR won't be present.

I assume you're trying to reuse something you have lying around.
If not look at the price difference - the 16 port version was only
about $50.00 more than the 8 port version at CompUSA when I bought
one a few weeks back.

(Why specify Boca, you ask?  They are rock solid at 115.2K baud in a
microcontroller test setup I support, while other brands get data
corruption resulting in dropped data packets.  I suspect some boards
have marginal line drivers and I get bad rise times and echos.)

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval