Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 01:57:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu (David E. O'Brien)
To:        security@freeBsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ownership of files/tcp_wrappers port

> > As demonistrated by Nathan Lawson <nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu>,
> > having system binaries owned by ``bin'' has serious security flaws that
> > would be reduced by having them owned by ``root'', the *real* question is
> > how do we go about _offically_ changing this?
>
> guys, these are NFS problems. If you want to stop people su'ing to bin
> then map bin to nobody as well.

Fine, then lets get this configured as the default.  Most sysadmin's
don't know to do this.  Why should FreeBSD be that much easier to
break-ins straight from the box?

Aren't the open, easy to exploit holes the ones we hate from other
vendors.  Are these the type of things we often feel the other vendors
are being careless irresponsible about?  If we know of an easy to abuse
security related problem shouldn't we fix it?  Weren't most of the
vulerablities used by the RTM worm known?  Why didn't those syadmin's
replace those programs???  Either they didn't know themselves, or because
of the work load, there were so many other "higher-priority" tasks to
work on.

-- David    (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)