Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:37:47 -0500
From:      Keith Jackson <kjackson@lsuc.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ISC  DHCP  server (beta5.16)  and Berkeley Packet Filter

Hi, I recently downloaded a copy of the Internet Software Consorium's
DHCP daemon (beta5.16) from their web site and compiled it without
errors on a FreeBSD 2.1.0 system we're running here. I'm hoping to use
it for DHCP. I got a minimal DHCP databsae file together for testing and
then tried to start up the daemon.  It reads the database file ok as far
as I can tell and then complains about the following and exits:

Internet Software Consortium DHCPD $Name: BETA_5_16 $
Copyright 1995, 1996 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
# Can't find free bpf: Device not configured
dhcpd: exiting.

I have since discovered this is referring to something called the
Berkeley Packet Filter. I must assume this is not enabled by default on
FreeBSD systems and that I must add this device to the kernel?
It also seems to indicate that I must use the Berkeley Packet Filter
if I wish to use the ISC DHCP daemon. Is this correct? If so, do all
DHCP daemons require this to be enabled. I understand there is a
security risk to turning on the Berkeley Packet Filtering.
If I include a pseudo-device line in our kernel config file and
rebuild the kernel, will this be sufficient to enable BPF?
There is an example of such a line in the LINT file in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf.
Thanks for your time.