Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 1995 10:10:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Falko Dressler <fd@bsd.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS performance

I've a problem with the performance of my FreeBSD NFS server.
To read files from this server isn't a problem. It works very well
and fast enough for me.
The performance-"killer" is to write something to my server.
The server is running FreeBSD 2.0R (it's a 486EISA/WD8013-Ethernet).
If I use a FreeBSD client, the write works but very slowly (about
50-100 packets per second [pps]). If I try it from any other machine
like a Sun or a SGI the write fails after 100kB or so with the reason
"Stale NFS file handle" or "I/O Error". And the performance of the
write of the first kBytes isn't very good as well (about 100pps).
If I use the option wsize=1024 when I mount the NFS filesystem,
the write works but too slowly.
On other BSD based operation (like BSDI) systems the NFS works much better.

DO you know any solution for my problem?

Falko.

--
Falko Dressler              Falko.Dressler@rrze.uni-erlangen.de