Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:47:27 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Same host or different? How can you tell "over the wire"?

"Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff@gmail.com > wrote:

>Do you mean that the application banners for all applications are the
>same? A comprehensive scan with nmap shows no differences?

Correct.   This is the case I was/am asking about.

>I know you specified SSH as outside of the application layer, but I
>would think if it's even to the point that the same SSH key (or
>credentials) work for both machines, and upon login provide the same
>hostname in the prompt

In case it was not clear, none of the IPv4 addresses that are of interest,
or that are relevant to my question, are ones for which *I* posses any type
of SSH login credentials.

But your question certainly raises an interesting possibility, and an
interesting question... one that I myself am not at all equiped or
qualified to answer (because I am almost totally ignorant about even
the bare mechanics of the SSH protocol):  How could one tickle an open
SSH port and obtain from it not just its greeting banner (which may be,
and often is, rather generic and non-specific) but also so as to get
the host's host-specific public key?

(Yes, I am indeed displaying an unforgivable level of laziness here.
I can and most probably should, and most probably eventually -will-
just go off now and read the relevant RFCs, but if anyone wants to save
me the trouble, just for this one question, that would be appreciated.)

>you'd have to dig and see if the NIC configs
>show a difference, or perhaps that there are multiple NICs, or a
>single NIC aliased with the IP addresses you're reviewing.

Yes.  This is yet a different way that the problem might be attacked.

I am most interested in that last possibility you mentioned, and
specifically I am interested in differentiating that case from all
other possible cases.

But I am far too ignorant of the relevant protocols to be able to work
out a way to solve the problem this way, so if anyone might be willing
to explain it to me, in detail, that also would be most appreciated.