Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 22:22:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        glennpj@bayouhome.net (Glenn Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

> I think you need to keep in mind that FreeBSD is more than just the
> kernel, in contrast to Linux. The tight integration and control of all
> of the userspace tools makes system management much easier IMHO with
> FreeBSD than any Linux distribution I have used. This is especially true
> when you have a fleet of machines to keep up to date.
>
> I think you are right though that visibility need to be increased to
> attract commercial developers but I think the only way to do that is to
> steadily grow the user base.

Well, I'm not about to give up FreeBSD running on my desktop, but at times
it is frustrating to not being able to use so much stuff out there that's
meant to work for Linux but doesn't work for FreeBSD for one small reason
or another. I think the user base can only grow if it is as easy to
use third-party applications on FreeBSD as on Linux.

- Mohit