Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:40:45 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicrecords.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AEC-4412 SCSI-SCSI RAID

On 3 Aug 99, at 20:49, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> Dave Walton wrote...
> >
> > And here's what I see in dmesg:
> >
> >   (ahc0:0:0): "Adaptec AEC-4412BS 1.2." type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> >   sd0(ahc0:0:0): Direct-Access 8999MB (70420800 134 byte
> > sectors)
> >
> > The problem?  The array on LUN 0 has a capacity of 34381MB, not
> > 8999MB.  For some reason, it's reporting 134 byte sectors, instead
> > of the standard 512 byte sectors (which would produce the correct
> > disk size).  What could be causing this, and how can I correct it?
>
> If you want to change the sector size, edit mode page 3.  To find out how
> to edit mode pages, read the scsi(8) man page.

Well, that was an adventure in confusion.  The man page is not
entirely helpful for someone who has never even heard of mode
pages before.  Anyway, I figured out that
  scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -m 3
was probably a good place to start.  That gave me:

  Tracks per Zone:  0
  Alternate Sectors per Zone:  0
  Alternate Tracks per Zone:  0
  Alternate Tracks per Logical Unit:  0
  Sectors per Track:  128
  Data Bytes per Physical Sector:  512
  Interleave:  0
  Track Skew Factor:  0
  Cylinder Skew Factor:  0
  SSEC:  0
  HSEC:  1
  RMB:  0
  SURF:  0

But what's this?  512 bytes per sector?  Why does it say 512 here,
but 134 whenever I try to access the device (see below).

> > Another thing I notice is that I cannot seem to access sd0 with
> > anything.  Any attempt returns "Device not configured".
> > Suggestions?
>
> It may have something to do with the sector size, though.  I dunno for
> sure.

I'm pretty sure that's it.  I notice that every time I try to access sd0
with fdisk or whatever else, /var/log/messages gets an entry saying:
  /kernel: sd0: Can't deal with 134 bytes logical blocks
That's pretty conclusive for that part of the puzzle.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave