Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:24:52 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Claus Guttesen <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation on hp rx2600

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:21:08PM +0100, Claus Guttesen wrote:

> So the SCSI-drives are recognized, but the ATA-CD
> apperantly not. Do I need to provide some
> boot-parameter?

No. This is a bermuda triangle in engineering. The bus enumeration
as controlled by ACPI got busted enough with the ACPI import early
this year that the rx2600 got broken, but it was not busted enough
that I actually noticed :-(
I started noticing after the ACPI import that Nate did early this
week, because the ATA controller was found, butthe new ATA code
doesn't like the CMD649 that's in the rx2600. The triangle is
complete by the fact that 5.2-RELEASE has the old ACPI, so that
the ATA controller is not found and if you manage to solve that
part you'll run into the ATA problem. This makes the release pretty
broken.

Since ia64 is still tier 2 at this time, I'm not even going to try
to make this a showstopper for 5.2. Instead I plan to make a snapshot
as soon as the problems are fixed. I still make 5.2-RELEASE, simply
because it's a good release otherwise and if you have a SCSI CD, a
USB CD or whatever, it's still usable.

Note: A network install should work. I do not know what exactly
could be your problem. I'll try it out ASAP.