Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:29:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Danny Koenig" <lists@bsdberlin.org>
To:        <martin.vana@vslib.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure remote login from win

> I'm trying to connect to my freebsd /5.1/ box via SecureCrt from win98.
> I'm sure that I do remember root password but it always kick me out with
> 'bad password' in both SSH1 and SSH2.
> Do I have to configure root to be accessible from outside?

Do you use the default configuration by sshd on your freebsd box?
Generally I use Putty to connect from Win to any SSHD
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/). Also PermitRootLogin
must be set to "YES" in the sshd_config. If you want to change to
SuperUser with su, the currently user must be in gid 'wheel'.

Danny
--
God? Root? Where is the difference?