Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 19:47:57 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Paul D Kruse <paul@pcslink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MRTG / Cisco 3810

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 07:18:11PM -0700, Paul D Kruse wrote:
> We have recently upgraded the IOS on our Cisco 3810 from 11.3 to 12.0.  This
> router handles our DSL connections.  The reason we upgraded the IOS was
> because we wanted to provide PPP access to our customers, in addition to the
> Bridged access we already had.  Well in the process, MRTG, which runs on one
> of our Free BSD boxes, quit working for the subinterfaces on this router.
> The upgrade of the IOS converted the Serial2.32 interface to ATM0.32.
> Originally, we were monitoring / graphing down to the PVC level.

Each time you reboot a Cisco, there is the possibility that the index
numbers for SNMP change. Example:

Your Cisco has:

Interface name		Index

Fastethernet0/0		0
Serial1/0		1
Serial1/0.1		2
Serial1/0.2		3
Serial1/0.3		4
Serial1/0.4		5
Serial2/0		6
Serial2/0.1		7
Serial2/0.2		8
Serial2/0.3		9
Serial2/0.4		10

You now run cfgmaker and configure your mrtg and everything is fine.

Now you add Serial1/0.5 (another subinterface), it will probably become
index 11. But what happens when you reboot now ? The IOS will number
the interfaces again. Serial1/0.5 will become Index 6, Serial 2/0 becomes
7, Serial 2/0.1 becomes 8, etc.

> I've used 'snmpwalk' to try to get the proper numbers to monitor the PVCs,
> but I'm not sure I would fully know how to use these numbers anyway.  So
> far, Cisco's tech support has been no help at all.  Hopefully one of you
> guys can provide some insight.
>
> PDK
> Paul D Kruse
> paul@pcslink.com