Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:00:07 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David Chavarria <davidc@huyett.com>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Handbook Idea

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

If memory serves me right, Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:19:36AM -0600, David Chavarria wrote:
> > I've recently downloaded and installed FreeBSD 4.7 using the handbook, =
and
> > am continuing to read it.  I was able to download a postscript and make=
 it a
> > PDF document, the only thing wrong were the margins, otherwise it's fin=
e.
> > I'm on a W2000 machine.
> >=20
> > Anyway, I thought that a PDF with navigation could be beneficial to use=
rs,
> > bookmarks could be added and links from the index.  I'm not sure if this
> > would work across all platforms, but I'd be willing to help if you think
> > it's a good idea or would like to try a test chapter.
>=20
> Hi David,
>=20
> What we need for that is some way of generating those bookmarks from the
> SGML; the handbook is rebuilt from SGML on a nightly basis.
>=20
> I believe that some progress has been reported in this area, although I
> forget who made that report...

I might have mentioned something along these lines.

Basically, the recent teTeX update (to 2.0.X) allows our DocBook
toolchain to (once again) create native PDF files of the Handbook.  If
said toolchain was built to use OpenJade (rather than Jade), you get
all the bookmarks for free.  See the 7 MB monster PDF file at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/doc/handbook.pdf

I created this PDF file using an OpenJade based toolchain, with a
minor change to texmf.cnf (similar to what's called for by the jadetex
port) and the removal of the PDF file creation hack in the Handbook's
Makefile.

Note that OpenJade is the default on non-i386 platforms.  kuriyama and
I have discussed the idea of *only* supporting OpenJade on *all*
platforms, but it seemed like the middle of a release cycle was a bad
time to do this.  :-)

Bruce.

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/

--TB36FDmn/VVEgNH/--