Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:34:23 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NCR 53c810 scsi problem

I may have uncovered a bug in the 53c810 driver in FreeBSD.
The problem I encountered involves an IBM 0663 E 15 1.2 gig and
a HP C3725S 2 Gig SCSI drive.

With 2.1.0, and the 1.2 IBM all is well...  Then the upgrade to
2.1.5, and it blows chow.  ( dont have all the errors verbatim,
as I have been busier tring to *find* the root of the problem, rather
than posting it here... )

NCR Reset
SD0 Unit Attention

 blah, blah, blah...

So, since i need a little more space anyway, I throw a shiny new
HP 2 gig into the works, and another controller card of the same type.

The 810 card is recognised, as is the drive... But, Install
can not even *see* the drive HP Drive.

Pop in a dos disk, fdisk and format, works fine.
Same with Linux.  Works great.
FreeBSD just refuses to see the drive. And gives
lots of errors with the IBM.

Boot 2.1.0, and all is well as far as the IBM goes,
still cannot see the HP drive.

Only thing I can think of is the NCR driver has a problem.

Btw... Did a search of newsgroups, and found one guy with the
exact same problem  HP 2 gig scsi and NCR controller.

I will snag the errors and post if anyone can actually fix the
problem, but in the meantime, I gotta get running, so Im gonna
get a Adaptec 2940.

Just thought y'all might want to avoid the same combo till
it does get fixed.

Blaine Minazzi