Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:04:26 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scripting language in base system?

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:35:55PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >  > This is an unwinnable debate, imo.

(Picking this message to respond to, out of the many in this thread):

Guys,

Might I suggest a thinking sideways to some of this?  There's a
difference between "included in the base install" and "installed by
default."  Perl is not in the base system, but it is installed by
default.

We could tack a menu into sysinstall, much like the current Perl
sysinstall option: "Would you like to install the tools to upgrade
your FreeBSD installation?"  If they say "Yes" we then install cvsup
(without X if no X is installed), portupgrade, and attendant
paraphenalia.

This gives us the ability to support our users more easily, while
satisfying the sed-scarred vets.  From an advocacy and support view,
this would make life much simpler.  ("You're an ignorant newbie who
took the defaults?  Don't worry, these tools are installed.")

OK, I'll shut up now.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org