Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 12:27:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, maartje%simplex.nlfreebsd-isp@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-isp@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        maartje@simplex.nl
Subject:   Re: Micropolis 3243 7200 rpm in a newsmachine?Re: Micropolis 3243 7200

> I'm on my third set up of micropolis disks. Mine are smaller 2G variety
> (4421). All seem to exhibit the same behavior. The work fine for a few
> days, then they start spewing errors accross my screen, then they start
> causeing a crash or reboot every coouple of hours, and then they die.
> I'm having areally hard time believing three sets of bad drives, so I'm
> swapping my controller card (adaptec 2940) out with a newer 2940. *shrug*
> maybe swap the SCSI cable as well. None of these things quite fit the
> symptons though. The drives crashing does. *sigh*

A couple of years ago I purchased a 3243W for use on my 2940W.  It didn't
take long for it to burn up.  I had it in a tower chasis with decent
ventilation, but I had a lot of SCSI devices in there and it was sandwiched
between a couple of other drives.  Micropolis sent me a replacement without
too much fuss and this one runs cooler and hasn't given me any problems.
I don't run a news server, but I use these drives for testing the aic7xxx
driver.

One thing that I can get to happen is for the Micropolis to lock up and
die when I'm testing a buggy aic7xxx driver.  I think what might be
hapeening is that it's getting sent garbage commands or commands that it
doesn't know what to do with, and instead of dropping them on the floor
and continuing on, it decides to stop responding to prevent data
corruption.  It takes a cold boot for it to respond again.

It could be that you're tickling some bugs in the aic7xxx driver, and during
error recovery things go awry enough to panic your Micropolis drives.
There were some known problems in the aic7xxx driver, and depending on
what version of FreeBSD you're using, this could be causing your problem.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org